Chinese Lost Passport in Mexico – Do I Need a New One to Travel Back to the U.S.?

If you’ve lost your Chinese passport in Mexico, you might be wondering if you need it to reenter the USA. In this situation, there are a few possible scenarios, depending on your citizenship status and the documents you have at your disposal.

So, if you are lost your Chinese passport in Mexico, do you need it to get back into the U.S.? 

The short answer is yes, crossing the border between Mexico and the United States requires a valid passport. However, there are a number of  possible steps you can take to be allowed to travel again.

Chinese passport lost in Mexico – dual U.S. citizenship

If a Chinese citizen has U.S. citizenship and already had an American passport, this person should immediately head to the nearest police station and file a report. Then, find a U.S. consulate or Embassy to request a passport renewal. 

To renew your passport in Mexico, the consular personnel will ask for:

  • Form DS-82 or DS-11
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship in one of the following forms:
  1. Previous U.S. passport
  2. U.S. birth certificate
  3. Certification of birth or consular report of birth abroad
  4. Certificate of naturalization
  5. Certificate of citizenship
  • a photocopy of the proof of citizenship
  • a valid photo ID and its photocopy
  • a passport photo
  • a form of payment for the fees (The most commonly accepted is a Money Order)
  • the police report you filed with Mexican authorities

You can get the forms and start the process from the U.S. Embassy website.

Standard processing can take up to 10 (ten) weeks, but for $60, you can expedite to 4 (four) to 6 (six) weeks.

If you need to travel in the next 2 (two) weeks, call the Embassy and set an emergency appointment. You will need to provide a confirmed travel itinerary to prove the emergency. Emergency passports will only be valid for 72 hours.

U.S. consular posts in Mexico

You’ll find the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City, if you are in another part of the country, there will be consulates in the following cities:

  • Ciudad Juárez
  • Guadalajara
  • Hermosillo
  • Matamoros
  • Merida
  • Monterrey
  • Nogales
  • Nuevo Laredo
  • Tijuana

Chinese passport lost in Mexico – Chinese citizenship

If you lost your passport in Mexico and don’t have U.S. citizenship, you will need to get a new Chinese passport issued by a Chinese consular post. Keep in mind that you will only be able to cross the border into the United States  if you also have a Visa or Green card.

Chinese authorities will ask you to provide:

  • a completed application form
  • 4 (four) passport photos
  • depending on your visa or citizenship status you might need:
  1. your birth certificate
  2. visa
  3. proof of lawful entry in Mexico
  • the police report for the lost or stolen passport

The passport will be mailed in around a month, but shipping times may vary. 

NOTE: If you apply for an emergency travel document, remember to specify that you need to reenter U.S. territory, as this document might only be valid to fly to China.

Chinese consular posts in Mexico

You will only find Chinese consular offices in two cities in Mexico:

  • The Embassy of the People’s Republic of China, Mexico City
  • Chinese Consulate, Mexico City
  • Chinese Consulate, Tijuana

Chinese lost passport in Mexico – wrapping up

So, as you can see, you will need a passport to get back to the U.S. from Mexico, it will be checked on both sides of the border.

If you have U.S. citizenship, you’ll just need to get a new passport, if you only have Chinese citizenship, you’ll have to provide a Visa or a Green card to be allowed into the USA.


In this section we will answer the most frequently asked questions from people that lost their Chinese passports while traveling in Mexico.

Do I need a Chinese passport to get back to the U.S. from Mexico?

Yes, to cross the border between Mexico and the USA, Chinese citizens need to have a valid passport.

Where can I renew my Chinese passport in Mexico?

You need to contact the Chinese Embassy or Consulate in Mexico City or the Consulate in Tijuana.


Rate this post

Leave a Comment