When applying for a passport you will have to present a couple of important documents, one of them being the US passport application form – the DS-11 form. All of its specifics and how to fill it out you can find in our article right underneath.
What is the DS-11 form?
The DS-11 form is the official US Department of State form that is used in first-time passport applications in the United States. You can get it from the official website of the passport office under this link: forms.html. It comes with an instruction on how to fill it out and what to bring with it to your passport appointment.
How to fill out the DS-11 form?
Although you can find the whole instruction on how to fill out the DS-11 form alongside the form on the website of the US passport office, we decided to create a quick list of what to do:
- You will find two separate parts of the form and you should only fill out the yellow part. Don’t fill out the white part.
- First, make sure to mark what exactly you are applying for – you can choose between a US passport book (regular or large) or a US passport card, or both.
- Then you will need to fill out your basic information – prepare to put in your name, address, date of birth, etc.
- In the end you will be able to provide an emergency contact.
How long does it take to fill out the DS-11 form?
Filling out the form shouldn’t take too long – usually up to 30 minutes including the gathering of all of the important information. It’s going to take longer to process your form – around 4-6 weeks. After that, you should receive your passport.
- DS-82 Passport Form
- How to Apply for a U.S. Passport?
- A Quick Guide on How to Renew a Minor Passport
- The U.S. Passport Renewal Cost For 2023
- Renewal of U.S. Passport Online
- Expedited U.S. Passport Renewal
- A Quick Guide How To Renew a Child’s Expired Passport
- How Long Does It Take To Renew a US Passport
How to submit the DS-11 form?
You have to submit your DS-11 form in person to the designated passport office’s agent which can be, for example, a post office’s employee. If you don’t require your passport urgently, you can visit any Passport Acceptance Facility and apply there. For those applying abroad – you will need to visit the embassy of the United States in the country you’re currently staying in.
You can visit travel.state.gov if you want further information on where to find your nearest agent.
What to submit with the DS-11 form
There are a few things that you will need to submit with your DS-11 form to fulfill your passport application. We’ve put them in a list below:
- Your proof of citizenship and its copy
- A proof of identification and its copy
- A proof of the fact that you paid your fees
- A passport photo no older than 6 months.
DS-11 form summed up
The DS-11 form is used to apply for a US passport for the first time. You can download it from the official website of the US passport office and read the instructions on how to fill it out above (more generally) or on their page (more in-depth information). You need to submit it in person with a few more important documents and wait for your passport to arrive.
Can I submit the DS-11 form online?
No, you have to submit the DS-11 form in person as this is the form that is supposed to be used when you file out your passport application for the first time.
Can I renew my passport with the DS-11 form?
No, the DS-11 form can be only used when you are applying for a passport for the first time. There are other forms for passport renewal available on the official website of the US passport office.