To renew your United States passport, you can mail your application to any passport acceptance facility through the service of the United States Postal Services.
In this article, we would like to bring up how to do that and some other specifics of renewing your passport by mail so read along and find out.
How do I know if I’m eligible to renew my passport by mail?
There are a couple of instances when you might not be eligible to renew your passport by mail. Underneath you will find out what these situations are.
You are eligible to renew your US passport by mail if:
- Your previous passport was issued when you were over 16 years old
- Your previous passport was issued no more than 15 years ago
- You didn’t undergo a name change or if you did, you have documents to prove it
- You didn’t throw out your previous passport and you still have it and will attach it to your renewal application
- Your previous passport is undamaged.
Documents and forms to renew passport by mail
Here we’ve completed a list of documents that you will be required to attach to your passport renewal application:
- A printed out and signed DS-82 form from the official website of the Department of State
- Your previous passport, not damaged in any significant way (not including normal marks that appear during the passing time)
- Proof that all of the necessary fees have been paid
- Two copies of new passport photos that are both 2×2 inches in size and taken within the last 6 months (representing how you currently look).
How to mail the U.S. passport renewal application
While mailing your application, you will need to use one of these services:
- USPS Priority Mail® Service with Delivery Confirmation
- USPS Priority Mail® Service with Signature Confirmation
- USPS Priority Mail Express® Service (for overnight delivery requests).
You will also need to think about a big enough envelope so that you don’t bend your application – a good one would be at least A4.
A list of places that you will need to mail your passport renewal application to can be found on the second page of your DS-82 form (as they depend on where you currently live).
- U.S. Passport Application Form
- A Quick Guide on How to Renew a Minor Passport
- The U.S. Passport Renewal Cost For 2023
- Renewal of U.S. Passport Online
- Expedited U.S. Passport Renewal
- Documents Required for Passport Renewal
- A Quick Guide How To Renew a Child’s Expired Passport
- How Long Does It Take To Renew a US Passport
Tracking your U.S. passport renewal application
You can also track your application. During the process of delivery, you can use the USPS tracking system, but just know that it can take up to 4 weeks for the status of your tracking to change. After around 5 weeks, you will be able to track your application through the official website of the Department of State that is dedicated to passports.
Can you renew a minor’s passport by mail?
Children under 16 years old cannot apply for a mail renewal as they have to make an appointment at the passport office with both of their legal guardians present. Passports for children are only valid for 5 years and the only way to get another one is to apply again using the DS-11 form.
How long does it take to renew a U.S. passport by mail?
The standard cost of renewing your US passport by mail is $110. Should you require the expedited service, you will have to pay an additional $60. The typical waiting time to get your passport approved and renewed is 8-11 weeks.
Expedited passport renewal services by mail
If you are in a hurry to renew your passport, the passport office offers some expedited services. Just make sure that you are able to provide proof of immediate travel with them. Should you require a quicker service, you will also need to show up at one of the USPS locations to file your application directly. These are the offered expedited services:
- When it comes to a life or death emergency – make an appointment within three days of your travel and receive your passport quickly
- When it comes to an important journey within 5-7 weeks – the number of available appointments here is limited, you need an appointment within 72 hours of your travel.
Renewing U.S. passport by mail summarised
As you can see, there are a couple of important steps to follow when it comes to renewing your passport by mail. Make sure to have your documents prepared and double-checked before you move on to mailing your application as you cannot mail more than one envelope. If you’re in a hurry and need to travel urgently, you can go to a USPS location and ask for expedited service.
Passport renewal via mail – FAQs
How much do I have to pay for renewing my passport by mail?
normal passport renewal fee is $110. Should you want not only a passport book but also a passport card, you will have to pay an additional $30.
Can I renew my passport by mail if my previous one expired?
Yes, this is one of the factors that make you legible to renew your passport by mail.
Can I track my passport renewal application if I applied by mail?
Yes, you can track the delivery of your application through the USPS tracking system, and the actual application through the website of the Department of State.
Can I renew my passport by mail if my previous one was issued when I was a child?
No, you can renew your passport by mail only if your previous one was issued when you were over 16 years old.
Can passport renewals be mailed together?
Yes, technically speaking you are allowed to mail more than one passport renewal application together. However, if you decide to do so, we recommend using separate envelopes for each application set (form, photo, documents, fee).
Do I have to send my old passport when renewing in the USA?
Yes, your previous passport is one of the key requirements for passport renewal eligibility. If you fail to deliver your old passport, you will not be able to renew it. Instead, you will have to apply for a new passport, which requires a DS-11 form and is set to different fees.
What mail do I send for passport renewal?
The recommended posting service for passport renewal is USPS Priority Mail Express. Using this option ensures security and short processing time, and is recommended by the U.S. Department of State.
How long does it take to renew a US passport by mail?
The regular processing time of U.S. passport renewal by mail is 8 (eight) to 11 (eleven) weeks. This time can be shortened to approximately 5 (five) weeks by using expedited services, which come at an additional fee of $60.